Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Second Lady

I usually say that I love politics.  However, I've been annoyed with our politicians a good bit lately; it's basically to the point where I'm so frustrated with every single thing they do (both sides), that I can't stand to read or hear anything about the current legislation being drafted, debated, and voted on.

And then I saw this story last weekend and really enjoyed it.  It gave new insight on the vice president and his wife.

It's really easy to form our opinions of public figures based on their politics or public gaffes, but sometimes you might feel a little differently about them when you hear something about their personal natures.

Take Vice President Joe Biden.  I knew the general story of how he was widowed when his boys were very young, his first wife and young daughter died in a car wreck at the beginning of his political career.  But other than that, all I knew about his second wife was that she was prone to occasionally sticking her foot in her mouth just like her husband.  (Remember when she told everyone that Biden was offered the Secretary of State job after Obama was elected?)

Now, knowing that even though she's married to the Vice President of the United States of America and still works as an English professor at a community college, I have a different opinion of her.  Not many women could make that claim.  The story of how she and Joe began dating and finally got married also showed a softer side of our VP.

I also like their admitted use of 3M products!  Scotch Tape!


Watch CBS News Videos Online

While discussing this piece on the Bidens, my father brought up another incident showing V.P. Biden's decency.  In 2001, there was a fierce debate on the passage of Bush's budget which was going well into the night, and every vote counted.  Senator Strom Thurmond, who was 98 years old at the time, was fading quickly and it was apparent that he might collapse if forced to stay for a vote.  Then-Senator Biden offered to leave with Thurmond, so that their votes would cancel each other out.  For a recap, see here.

I'm tired of elected officials dropping their responsibilities to run around on their wives and children, calling stewardesses names and generally acting like first-class jerks!  Just when you begin to feel like there is no decency left in politics, it's nice to be reminded of a few past examples of common courtesy, even if they don't always act that way.

1 comment:

Mrs. Pie said...

Joe Biden was quite a looker in days gone by. His wife seems like a gracious, nice person. And she hated politics? I wonder if she still does now that her life is so entrenched in it.