Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Regina

We drove to Atlanta (and back) yesterday to see Regina Spektor at The Tabernacle.  I'm not usually the concert type, but I had a lot of fun!  I thought that RS put on an excellent show and especially appreciated the intimate feel of The Tabernacle (where you can sit, see, and hear everything from every seat in the house).


Regina jammed on the piano, sang a cappella, and even broke out a turquoise guitar. 


Our seats were about 4 rows up on the balcony, and with a great view. 


Manda and I even went down to the floor to take a picture or two.

What I liked best was that she has a lot of personality.  She came off a little demure while playing at the piano and didn't interact with the crowd an extensive amount.  Then, when she stood up to sing a cappella, she stopped for a second to tell someone to "Shut the f@$# up!"  In such a small theater (I think it used to be an old church), you can hear everything, and I'm sure that people singing a half beat ahead of her was probably pretty annoying.  She also goofed on the guitar, swore, and started over - something I've never seen any other performer do before.  Other than those entertaining moments, she was brilliant.  She sounded great live.

Jupiter One opened for her and they were also excellent.  They're one of the bands that AltNation and Sirius XMU plays fairly often, so I'd heard several of their songs on the radio.  After their opening, the lead singer/guitar accompanied Regina on the violin. 



We had so much fun laughing, singing, and dancing in our seats, and then chatterboxing away on the drive over and back.  The only downside is that Matt thought he needed more hours in the office this week and I cancelled our hotel in Atlanta, so it kind of stunk to have to drive back so late and then drag myself into work (late) today.  Still, it was worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. and Mrs. Pie!

3 comments:

Mrs. Pie said...

That was so fun! I had a great time, and I'd pay to see her again. I really recommend the Tabernacle to concert goers. The charming atmosphere of the theater was half of the fun.

Mrs. Pie said...

Oh, and everyone should know that Regina Spektor's going to be on Saturday Night Live this weekend! I'm betting that if she performs two songs, they'll be "Eet" and "Laughing With."

Mrs. Pie said...

Did you happen to catch Regina on SNL? Her first performance, of Eet, was pretty gosh awful. She was so darn off-key, I think that she must not have been able to hear herself. Also because her second performance, "The Calculation" was spot on. Very good..