Thinking of You
I think that one of the most thoughtful things you can do for someone is to send them a note. Whether to say thank you, get well, or just "I was thinking of you", notes seem to cheer people up. I'm not saying that I'm the best at this; in fact, I'm pretty horrible at consistently letting people know I care, but every now and then I'm reminded about how much such a simple gesture can mean to someone.
When Matt and I first moved back to the area, we weren't really sure if we were going to join the church where I essentially grew up. After a few short months of being completely independent and on our own, we didn't know if we'd be seen as adults or treated as just my parents' daughter and her boyfriend. One of our dearest and closest family friends unexpectedly dropped a note in the mail for Matt, saying how happy she was that he was part of the family, how much they loved him (and me), that they saw great spiritual and leadership potential in him and were thrilled we had moved back from Texas. That single note made such a difference to Matt and me; I still get teary-eyed thinking about it.
A few years ago, my kindergarten teacher's mother was very sick. Her parents had watched me grow up and attended my wedding. Although I never felt extremely close to them, I wanted to tell her that we loved her and hoped she got better soon. She died the week I mailed her the card, and I'll never know if she got to read it or not. At her funeral, her husband said something to me with a tear in his eye about how much Mrs. Jane loved to send people get well cards so that they'd know people were thinking about and praying for them. If nothing else, I know that he got the note and appreciated it.
We know another guy who is the purest example of a servant that I've ever known. We've watched him worked tirelessly for others for years, serving in church, school, and the community. I don't know if he knows how much he's appreciated. Everyone needs to hear that they are loved and that others are thinking about them or praying for them when they're sick, that they're noticed and that they matter.
You never know when someone really needs to hear that they're appreciated. You never know if someone needs cheering up or to hear just a few words of encouragement, and you also never know when it will be too late to tell them. There are a lot of people that I think about and worry over, but I don't have the courage to tell them in person. A simple note seems to be easier for me, and the recipient can read it in the privacy of his or her own home, without me blabbering and becoming uncomfortable in front of them.
We've been blessed with such wonderful friends and family, and I don't tell them enough how much I love and appreciate each one of them. It means a lot to me to get a quick email from a friend saying hi and that they were thinking about me; hopefully I can work at being better about doing the same myself.
2 comments:
I want to guess about who wrote you that note, but i suppose the anonymity was purposeful, so remind me later. I got a similar note like that in high school. It was a note for no obvious reason, and it meant so much. Just knowing that someone out there appreciated me. I still have it, and it makes me happy all over again when I find it and read it.
I bet it was the same great lady! :) I didn't know you got a letter like that in high school; she really set a good example of how to care for others.
Post a Comment