Saturday, January 29, 2011

Back Home: VA Wrap Up Part I


So, I've been back "home" for almost two weeks now.  The funny thing is, I was calling Charlottesville "home" for a while there and was a little sad to leave.

Being completely on my own was a new/exciting/fun/terrifying/rewarding experience for me.  I've never lived by myself, let alone away from every. single. person. that I know.  To be quite honest, the first couple of weeks were rather miserable.  I tried to think about how much fun this was all going to be, and then I'd look out the window, see how pretty the changing leaves were, and then start tearing up because I remembered that I missed my husband.

I like to think of myself as pretty self-sufficient and capable, but deep down I can be a big baby!  I agreed to take the trip almost immediately when asked, but a week before I was supposed to leave, I begged Matt to help me find a way out.  I sobbed in the car, "I don't wanna gooooo!", but he made me go anyway.  I appreciate having a husband who helps me to keep my word and follow through when I don't always want to. 

Colonial Williamsburg

However, once I was there long enough to figure out how to get around town and to get into the rhythm of things, I really enjoyed myself.  I loved the work I was doing, the people I was working around, and really fell in love with the area.  I found a wonderful church with beautiful music and excellent preaching.  I was able to do lots of sightseeing and even found some decent shopping.

Of course, it was a million times more fun when people came to visit, and I was blessed to have several visitors.

My parents came up before Christmas and spent several days with me.

 Mom and Dad on the steps of the Rotunda.

They did some of the local stuff while I was at work one day.   Together, we toured the UVA Academical Village and took a day trip to Colonial Williamsburg.

UVA in the snow.

 Williamsturburg was something I'd wanted to do for a while.  Unfortunately, the weather was miserably cold (which probably kept things crowd-free, but also turtned us into walking icicles).

One of the first buildings we explored was the "Presbyterian Meeting House".  Any denomination other than the Church of England was not formally recognized in the American colonies and therefore not allowed free worship.  The Presbyterians in Williamsburg were allowed a "meeting house" (not a church) and could only meet under fairly strict regulations.  Everyone was required to pay a tithe to the Church of England, regardless of membership.

Pappa don't preach!

We were able to have tea in the local tea house with the parish priest.  If you've never been to Colonial Williamsburg, many of the buildings are set for a certain year during the colonial era and actors play their parts in the characters of the time.  It was a little uncomfortable at first because most will refuse to break character.  I imagine that it would've been a lot more fun if we'd brought along my sisters, who never seem to get embarrassed and would have been able to come up with some whoppers in order to play along.


If you've ever wondered why my sisters and I are all complete dorks, look no further...

 In front of the Governor's mansion.


This guy was my favorite.  I can't remember his official title, but he was hand crafting leather goods in the armory.  He actually answered my questions about the colonial characters.  They really do make their own outfits, wear custom-made leather shoes, and learn the crafts of their characters as they would have been performed back around ~1770.

I enjoyed Williamsburg, but I would recommend going when the weather is >30 degrees.  I think it gets pretty crowded in the summer, which would take away from some of the personal interactions with the colonial characters, but I've heard it's really pretty in the spring and fall.  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with kids; I know I would have enjoyed it when I was younger.

I loved looking at the colonial gardens, even under the snow.

1 comment: